Posts Tagged Fundraising
Just a couple short but exciting announcements.
We begin collecting items for our annual spring flea market today. You may take your items to our storefront at the East Lake Shopping Center (2145 Roswell Road, Ste. 40 Marietta, GA 30062.) Volunteers will be accepting drop offs from 10-2 on Fridays and Saturdays and 12-3 on Sundays or by appointment during the week.
You may download a flyer with additional information on our website. And once you’ve downloaded the flyer, why not send it along to some friends and family? Remember this is our largest fundraiser of the year and we need a lot of items to make it so successful!
If you are interested in helping with the flea market set-up, you may sign up for a shift here.
And secondly, Southwest Airlines is celebrating their arrival in the Atlanta market by giving you a chancee to support YOUR favorite local nonprofit AND enter for the chance to win a trip for 2 to Las Vegas via Southwest Vacations. Good Mews is very pleased to be one of those local nonprofits.
We are one of 15 finalists for a $25,000 grant! Our chances are really good but we still need a lot of support. Please go to http://southwest.promo.eprize.com/grant/ and vote for Good Mews in the small charity category. Voting is open tp residents of the state of Georgia who are 18 and over. You may vote once a day until March 18th. Please vote everyday and encourage all of your Georgia friends to do so as well. You can imagine what $25,000 would mean to our shelter!
Being a cat shelter we, of course, hate fleas but we love our annual flea market. Over the years this has grown to be our largest fundraiser of the year netting the shelter more than $30,000 last spring.
The months of preparations leading up to the event are about to begin. Starting March 9th we will begin collecting items at the storefront. You can bring your donations to:
East Lake Shopping Center
2145 Roswell Road, Ste. 40 (a few doors down from Aldi)
Marietta, GA 30062
The sale will begin on Friday, April 13th and will continue for 5 weekends. This means we will need lots of donations to make the event as successful as we need it to. Are you ready to start your spring cleaning?
In addition to donations, there are other ways you can help. The flyer pictured below is available on our website. Won’t you consider emailing it to your friends and neighbors or print it out and take it to the office with you? Help us spread the word! Or, if you have a few hours to spare some weekend consider coming to help out. Keep an eye on the website for updates.
And to the Flea Market committee let me extend a great big thank you. You turn a few months of your life over to this event every year and the shelter reaps the rewards of your labor.
Of course all of our cats are kept, and kept well, but we have a few select kitties that are part of our kitty keeper program. These cats may have a slimmer chance of being adopted for medical reasons or because they don’t present themselves well on adoption days and so they have made themselves available as pen pals.
Do you know a child who loves cats but can’t have one because they or someone in their family is allergic? Or how about a senior citizen who has chosen not to replace a beloved lost pet? Why not give them the gift of supporting one of these fabulous felines? For a monthly donation of $20 or more, they will receive a quarterly update, photographs and a personal note from their “kept” kitty. It’s a great way to support the shelter and to allow someone who can’t physically have a cat to be on the receiving end of some regular kitty loving.
The registration form is available on our website under the donation tab where ou can also find the names of the cats currently enrolled in the program. And be sure to check out our video featuring the current kept kitties (trying saying that 5 times fast!)
It’s time again to thank an area business that has been so generous in their support of Good Mews. And since Valentine’s Day is fast approaching it seems appropriate to spotlight Carithers Flowers.
Carithers Flowers is a second generation family florist and was founded in 1974 by Larry and Jane Carithers. Through their Helping Hands program Carithers is able to continuously give something back to their community all year long. With each order a customer can make a $2.00 donation to one of the participating organizations by selecting the “Helping Hands” pull down menu on the order form and choosing from the participating organizations to receive your contribution.
Last year Good Mews was honored to receive a check for more than $2100 as a result of this wonderful program.
It should be noted that these donations are not added to the cost of your order but come directly from Carithers Flowers truly demonstrating their community support.
As always we encourage you to support those businesses that support us. If you find yourself in need of flowers or gift baskets anytime of the year, please remember Carithers Flowers. And while you are there please be sure to take advantage of their Helping Hands donation program and chose Good Mews as the recipient.
It’s that time of year again for the Good Mews Valentine Card fundraiser. Let someone know you are thinking about them and support the cats and kittens of Good Mews at the same time. That’s what we call a win, win!
You have 6 borders to choose from and can even pick which Good Mews cat you’d like featured. A note on the back will explain that a donation has been made in honor of your Valentine.
Who wouldn’t love getting some kitty lovin’ in the mail? Go to the Good Mews website to place your order. Deadline is February 5th.
And the residents of Good Mews wish you peace, love and catnip on February 14h and all the other days of the year.
Good Mews subsists in large part from monetary donations we receive from our supporters. However there are many other ways you can help Good Mews without any extra pennies leaving your pocket.
- Volunteer – the vast majority of things that are done at or for Good Mews are done by volunteers. We’ll get more in depth about all the specific ways you can volunteer in later posts but we probably have an opportunity you would love either at the shelter or from home.
- Social Media – help us spread the word about our cats and/or events. Tell someone about this blog, retweet something that Boca the cat says or click share on one of our Facebook posts. Even if it’s an event you can’t attend or a cat you can’t adopt, someone in your network may be able to.
- Office Max – the next time you shop at Office Max give them our phone number (770-499-2287) at check out. Every dollar you spend helps us earn Max Perks Rewards. Reward certificates are used to purchase shelter office supplies.
- Coke Rewards – save the caps off of your bottles of Coke products or the end caps from the fridge packs and bring those codes to Good Mews. We use the accumulated points for prizes for fundraising events
- Paw Points – If you purchase Fresh Step litter save the Paw Points printed on each package. Accumulated points are used to get coupons for free litter and you KNOW we can always use litter.
- Cans – save your steel and aluminum cans and bring them to Good Mews.
- Newspapers/Magazines – there are collection bins located in our parking lot. Place your newspapers and magazines in the designated bins and we are paid based on the weight of paper collected.
- Cell phones
- Printer cartridges – bring your used printer cartridges (both ink and laser) to Good Mews and the kitties will earn money for each item. Proceeds from all the above recycling initiatives aid in the care of the residents of Good Mews.
- When searching the internet use GoodSearch – GoodSearch is a search engine which donates 50 percent of its sponsored search revenue to the charities and schools designated by its users. You use GoodSearch exactly as you would any other search engine. Because it’s powered by Yahoo!, you get proven search results. The money GoodSearch donates to your cause comes from its advertisers — the users and the organizations do not spend a dime!
- When shopping on the internet start with iGive or OneCause and designate Good Mews as your charity of choice. The specified percentage from your purchases at the participating sites will be donated to the shelter
- Remember Good Mews when cleaning out your closets. Our largest annual fundraiser is our flea market and we need a lot of stuff to make it so successful. The flea market generally takes place in late April/early May but keep an eye on this space and our website to learn when we’ll start collection items
If you aren’t in the Atlanta area but have rewards codes you want to share, leave a comment and the appropriate person will be in touch. If you are in the Atlanta area, come by the shelter any Saturday from 10-4 or the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Sundays of the month from 1-4. You can drop your items off then and let the kitties show their appreciation.