Good Mews subsists in large part from monetary donations we receive from our supporters. However there are many other ways you can help Good Mews without any extra pennies leaving your pocket.
- Volunteer – the vast majority of things that are done at or for Good Mews are done by volunteers. We’ll get more in depth about all the specific ways you can volunteer in later posts but we probably have an opportunity you would love either at the shelter or from home.
- Social Media – help us spread the word about our cats and/or events. Tell someone about this blog, retweet something that Boca the cat says or click share on one of our Facebook posts. Even if it’s an event you can’t attend or a cat you can’t adopt, someone in your network may be able to.
- Office Max – the next time you shop at Office Max give them our phone number (770-499-2287) at check out. Every dollar you spend helps us earn Max Perks Rewards. Reward certificates are used to purchase shelter office supplies.
- Coke Rewards – save the caps off of your bottles of Coke products or the end caps from the fridge packs and bring those codes to Good Mews. We use the accumulated points for prizes for fundraising events
- Paw Points – If you purchase Fresh Step litter save the Paw Points printed on each package. Accumulated points are used to get coupons for free litter and you KNOW we can always use litter.
- Cans – save your steel and aluminum cans and bring them to Good Mews.
- Newspapers/Magazines – there are collection bins located in our parking lot. Place your newspapers and magazines in the designated bins and we are paid based on the weight of paper collected.
- Cell phones
- Printer cartridges – bring your used printer cartridges (both ink and laser) to Good Mews and the kitties will earn money for each item. Proceeds from all the above recycling initiatives aid in the care of the residents of Good Mews.
- When searching the internet use GoodSearch – GoodSearch is a search engine which donates 50 percent of its sponsored search revenue to the charities and schools designated by its users. You use GoodSearch exactly as you would any other search engine. Because it’s powered by Yahoo!, you get proven search results. The money GoodSearch donates to your cause comes from its advertisers — the users and the organizations do not spend a dime!
- When shopping on the internet start with iGive or OneCause and designate Good Mews as your charity of choice. The specified percentage from your purchases at the participating sites will be donated to the shelter
- Remember Good Mews when cleaning out your closets. Our largest annual fundraiser is our flea market and we need a lot of stuff to make it so successful. The flea market generally takes place in late April/early May but keep an eye on this space and our website to learn when we’ll start collection items
If you aren’t in the Atlanta area but have rewards codes you want to share, leave a comment and the appropriate person will be in touch. If you are in the Atlanta area, come by the shelter any Saturday from 10-4 or the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Sundays of the month from 1-4. You can drop your items off then and let the kitties show their appreciation.